Thread: Slide lube
View Single Post
Old 04-23-2006, 09:02 AM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
You are correct about the seals. They are the rubber things on all four sides of the slides. They keep the weather outside. You can get slide seal lubricant from rv dealers, camping world, and some walmarts. If the groaning you hear is a squeal type sound it's probably the seals. Some of that is normal but when it gets real bad that's a clue they need lubricating. The purpose for lubing the seals is to keep them from drying out too much. Keep them pliable so they perform the intended job.

The rack is the long bar with teeth on the bottom. On the coach side of the rack you will also see a gear with teeth. The teeth on the bar is what you lubricate. That and I shoot lube into the gear (pinion) teeth best I can without moving the slides, too. I think rail refers to the same thing. There should be two under each slide.

You may also have heard the term "ram". That's the round chrome rod. There is one for each slide. The ram moves in and out to move the slides. There is a seal through which the ram slides back and forth, into and out of the cylinder. It is a hydraulic process. If the ram gets burrs or otherwise gets rough it can damage that seal.

If this just makes the water more muddy, please post back and we'll try again. Or if I got something wrong, someone please correct.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote