View Single Post
Old 10-24-2004, 02:20 PM   #1
Montana_2205
Established Member

M.O.C. #2205
Backing Procedures

As a government employee (contractor as opposed to civil servant), we have procedures for everything we do. As many have expressed in other discussions, backing seems to be an interesting subject. On our shake down cruise, I asked Cindy to only find camp grounds with pull throughs. The thought of having to back Mo the monster sent chills down my spine. The first place we stopped was so crowded that if it was a shower, you couldn't get in it with a new bar of soap (turns out it was a former KOA).

We had a pull through, but I almost didn't have enough room. A couple of other folks had to move their trucks just so I would have enough room. There was three rows for campers. The middle row was for pull throughs and the two side rows had to back in. I don't see how they managed to back some of those rigs.

There has to be a standard way to approach a back in. If the approach puts the site on the left side, do you get as far to the left as possible and then pull your rig up until the tires pass the site or until the back end passes the site or what? Having a long wheel based truck, I am also concerned about having clearance on the right side as I back.

Our previous camper was an 18 foot pop up camper and even then I found challenges. Cindy says that's because the sites we were given were for small trailers and we would probably have larger sites for our Montana. I've also noticed that some sites are at more of an angle than others and that would appear to make it a little less difficult.

I think I will go to an old Wal-Mart parking lot and practice before our next trip, but any instructions would be appreciated.

Scott
Montana_2205 is offline   Reply With Quote