View Single Post
Old 09-21-2018, 01:03 PM   #35
PNW Fireguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18081
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPSimmons View Post
Response to PNWFireguy: Let me assure you that other sections of the NEC do apply and prohibit what you are recommending. (By the way, I have served for many years on the NEC committee that writes the rules for grounding and bonding (Article 250). I also served as Chairman of the Committee of the NEC that writes Article 551 that regulates RVs.)
For example, try NEC 250.24 (A)(5), 250.140 and 250.142. There is a very good safety reason the neutral "floats" in the RV and the neutral needs to be bonded in the portable generator.

Not sure what the point is of assuring me of something I already said was the case in my post. Yes I agreed that there were multiple other articles within the NEC that applied to this scenario. That said however 551 does not apply as the reasoning for bonding the neutral of a portable generator backfeeding and RV. That's all. Please don't take it as a verbal assault of you or your earlier post.

mchurch there is other evidence, including that from Micro-Air directly, that a single Honda eu2000 will start and run a 15k AC unit with the Easy Start installed. It is only the starting or locked rotor current that prevents the AC from starting on that generator without the Easy Sart. The running current is within the Honda's rated capacity.

Based upon your updated information it appears something was amiss with regards to the original bonded plug. Based upon that and your findings that you need two eu2000's to run the single AC unit if it were me I would reset the ES and perform the 5 starts on shore power again to re-train the ES. Then try the single Honda again. Just my .02
PNW Fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote