Thread: Hydraulic Fluid
View Single Post
Old 11-01-2019, 06:20 AM   #14
Baldicon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20906
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rondo View Post
On my 2013 Monte, I have the brown or hydraulic fluid in my reservoir and lines. I confirmed this with the Lippert/LCI reps a year ago at the 2018 Fall Rally in Goshen. So I use hydraulic fluid to replace mine if and when it gets low.

Bob R-- I know you quoted from the Lippert manual about the cleaning and maintenance of the hydraulic level-up jacks but when I had the reps at the unit in 2018 I had the problem of the front legs howling when retracting and extending. They asked me what I was using on them and I told them silicone spray as the manual tells me. They said to stop using the silicone spray because it has a tendency to dry out the gaskets that clean and lube the legs as they retract and extend. I asked them what to use and they told me to take a rag and put hydraulic fluid on it and wipe them down with it. This keep the legs/rams lubricated and will not dry out the gaskets at the base of the cylinders. I've done that since and no problems from that point on. Asked them again this year again at the Fall Rally and same answer came out of their mouths. Yes, the hydraulic fluid has a tendency to collect dust but this is why the legs should be wiped down prior to retracting them if they have been extended for any long period of time.
This is what I had heard too. I started using silicon spray, but have stopped. But it was a lot easier to use than wiping with ATF.