Thread: Winter Camping
View Single Post
Old 12-10-2004, 09:56 AM   #16
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Gary & Carole, I had to chuckle when I read the last paragraph of your post. Yes, we've been fulltiming for almost 21 months. We are in Independence, MO, a suburb of Kansas City. We are here until after Christmas (Jan 4) because we have failed to convince any of our married children to move to a warmer climate! We did have a daughter in Florida. Still have the daughter but she moved to Kansas City. So, we'll be here this time of year every year until one or more of them moves to a warmer area! You can bet we'll be headed for warmth in early January. We're going to Savannah, GA. Not as far south nor as warm as Florida or Texas but the coldest daily average for that area is 38 at night and upper fifties by day. We really want to explore that area and timing wise this works for us so Savannah it is. We're planning on two months there, arriving Jan 10.

We've found when temperatures get down into the middle twenties or below you can run the electric heaters (on low) at night and the furnace will still run enough to keep heat going into the belly.

When the temperatures get really cold the low point drains are the problem. Hopefully the insulation I did on ours will keep them from freezing this winter, if it gets that cold here this winter. Otherwise I'll be under the coach with a hair dryer again to get them thawed out. I am sure when uninsulated they freeze even in the twenties but below that they freeze up into the belly until they reach the Tee and block the water flow.

I'm not sure which kind of heater is better and why. I'm not sure I'd know a ceramic heater if I saw it. I do know I like electric heaters with a fan to move the air out more quickly. The one in the living room is a tall pedestal with an option to swing from side to side. That's nice. But it doesn't have a thermostat, just a high-low-off. It would be perfect if it had a thermostat.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote