View Single Post
Old 11-25-2010, 08:00 AM   #40
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Okay! The other SOB is checking in.

We had the Montana 3400RL for 1 year with an F350 King Ranch, Long Bed Dually. If a car can fit in a parking spot, I can get the dually in there with several pivot turns. I never wanted for a parking space. However, considering all the setup I had to do with the Montana, and you all know what that is depending on the situation, now I push 3 buttons. One levels, one puts out a 12 foot slide, and one puts out a 23 foot slide. I switch to the MH because of physical challenges. One day I was setting up the Monty in Alabama (hot there) and DW said, "Why don't you get a MH before you have a heart attack." That did it for me. In all honesty, DW likes the kitchen of the Monty better than the SOB. I have to agree that at the end of a driving day I feel a lot more relaxed in the MH than pulling all day. After pushing the 3 buttons I can be set up in 10 minutes or less, that's electric, water, and sewer.

The other benefits are DW can get up and go to the powder room whenever she wants, grab us a snack (small one while driving), the puppy (70 pounds) has a lot more room and loves looking out the front window when we slow down, and our full wrap front window is our picture window. I can provide some pictures of the views we have had at some sites, and while driving (we sit higher). We are 40' long, well actually 39' 3", and 12' 4" high (basement AC). There is plenty of storage space underneath for our desires.

The expenses with a MH are typically higher than those of a 5th wheel. Fuel is compatible as far as I'm concerned. I got 8.5-10 mpg in the F350 when towing, and I get between 8.5-10 and sometimes 11 mpg in the MH.

As has been mentioned, the newer 5er's have the automatic leveling systems and that would help in set up substantially. In the two years I have had the MH, I have had to level with blocks only 3 times. And, I put the wood under the tires and get as close to level as possible, and then maybe a block of wood under the pad. I have never had to get on my back. I use the awning hook to push/pull the wood into place. I have on occasion when setting up on grass placed one 2x10 under the pad(s) to keep from sinking(settle) into the grass.

I like the MH. My wife would prefer to have the Monty back, but not give up the conveniences she has with the MH. Since I'm sitting on my butt, and men's organs are such, I can go for hours without having to go to the BR.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote