View Single Post
Old 10-24-2018, 06:33 AM   #3
showme

M.O.C. #22658
Thanks, AZTraveler. Although we're setting the 5th wheel in the spot where the panels are destined to go, what I have in mind is to set up a temporary pole mount right next to it and just run the line to the battery compartment under the nose to charge the batteries, but I've found that this trailer doesn't have an inverter for ac. So I'm wondering if I could get a smaller (2-3kw inverter) for the 5'er. What we have for the "homestead" are (2) SW5548 NOS Xantrex inverters, each 5000 watt, 48v, for our 8kw of new solar modules, plus (8) 120 Evergreen modules which will power our mini split heat pump/AC (which we will probably never need to use), and a 1kw Bergey wind generator. This system will power our home, shop and well pump. But before we get all that in, I was thinking of setting up the 8 Evergreens on a pole or stand just to be assured of plenty of power for the times we're at the property while we're working there getting ready to build next spring.
I know that (8) 120w panels is overkill to just charge a few trailer batteries, but if we were to install a small inverter to power AC loads, too (no air conditioner needed through this winter, fortunately!), it would be nice to know how to wire the inverter into the Montana's system. Since the schematics for these rigs is non-existent as far as I can tell, and getting into the back side of the converter will be challenging, I'd at least like to hear from other Montana owners what they've experienced when attempting this, and also all the "Don't do this!" or "This worked well" comments. Thanks very much for your positive comments and suggestions! We plan on moving the 5th wheel down to the property (30 miles away outside of Fredericktown, Missouri) this weekend after I replace a bad section of floor in the dinette slide out and winterize the water system. Since you're the AZ Traveler, I'll add that we're heading to Phoenix (Sun City, actually) this weekend to visit my sister and her husband. We're picking up our two "new" inverters in NM on the way home. And it's 34* here in southeast Missouri right now, so AZ's 80* days will be nice!
showme is offline   Reply With Quote