View Single Post
Old 03-31-2007, 12:28 PM   #24
jsrang
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1726
Great information on locking the Surge Guard & Power Cord to the rig. I just ordered the 50 Amp portable along with the locking clasp from rvpartsoutlet.com for about $315 including shipping. A few weeks back, I had a surge that took out a number of the little surge protectors scattered about Monty and the microwave (not surge protected because of the special 20 amp plug). It turns out that the CG 50 Amp outlet (bakelite type composite matl) had cracks running between the 2 120V lines, probably from the heat and Florida sun. A slight jar of the power cord would cause a sizzling sound and arching and occasional power outages inside the rig. This was exciting to say the least until I finally figured out the culprit. So... to make a long story short, the surge protectors/surge guard are worth every penny in my opinion.

I plan to still use the the mini surge protectors at various outlets inside the rig until I gain confidence in the Power Cord Surge Guard. Their failures saved all of the electronic equipment that they were attached to. I'm a believer!

Also does anyone know where you can purchase a 20 amp surge protector for the microwave? Mine has the funny plug with one prong turned sideways. I have 2 electrical parts places searching, but nothing found yet. The Apollo microwave is pretty finnicky about wandering power surges, so I want to give it as much protection as possible.

Jim
jsrang is offline   Reply With Quote