View Single Post
Old 12-02-2006, 06:01 AM   #3
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by glenski01

While shopping for a new 5th whl, I advised the RV salesman, that I wanted to look around more at other 5th wheels (he carried Laredo, Everest, & Paradise Pointe by Crossroads & alot of Motorhome Mfgs), & besides I needed to purchase a new truck to replace my Yukon Denali, before I actually got a 5th wheel. He informed me a guy was trading a 99 Holiday Rambler fiver & an 04 Silverado Duramax crewcab 4x4 in for a new Holiday Rambler class A diesel motorhome & that they would wholesale the truck off as they only sell RV's. He stated he would call me when he got it in to take a look at the truck, he did not know all the specifics on the truck. I fiqured, well 1st we will see if he even calls me, secondly it probably will not be a truck I want.

Sure enough yesterday the salesman called me & I went to look at the truck. I had planned on purchasing a brand new truck in March when my current vehicle lease was up. The Silverado was a Silver 2500 HD Duramax, super clean, like new, and only 11,700 miles, owned & maintained by an engineer. There was not a scratch on the truck, even has flawless Rhino bed lining, & appeared it never hauled anything other than a 5th wheel. Wholesale was $25-26, avg private party was $28-31K. They offered me the truck for $23K, which stemmed from their best "buy bid" from a car dealership. (actually I paid $23K plus $289 dealer fee). Truck even has Reese hitch, & prodigy brake controller installed.

Generally, I don't buy used vehicles,& want the latest model/features. However I have not been real thrilled with the looks of the new 07 1/2 Silverado (interiors are nice though), plus diesel models are not quite out yet & I understand the new engines may or may not have some issues due to all the new emissions stuff. I am not one to be manufactor specific, I like the Dodge, Ford, & Chev trucks, each one has something I like, so I was not dead set on any brand yet, just knew it had to be 3/4 or 1 T, diesel & 4x4. I figured I can't go wrong with this truck for now.

So, long story, I now have the truck, on to a Montana 5th wheel, probably for March/April delivery.
I would hope your truck is the LB7 engine and not the LLY. The LLY is an overheater (I have one) when worked hard. On long steep grades and such in hot weather. Also, the LB7 gets a little better fuel mileage from what I have seen. My son has the 2004 Silverado LB7, and I have the LLY (signature). I have never overheated, but I have heard that fan roar in hot weather here in East TX just pulling the 6000 lb. Sportmen TT we had. We'll see how it does with the high profile 5er next summer.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote