View Single Post
Old 04-27-2018, 08:04 PM   #10
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlord View Post
Yes, I don't care for roundabouts either, but not for the reason of navigability issues so much. I dislike them because there are a lot of clueless/distracted drivers that do not understand/care how they are supposed to work, right-of-way wise.

Those roundabouts are pretty huge if you compare the image to the length of a semi-truck and trailer combo, the curbed outer circle of them look to be about 80 feet in diameter with gently sloped "curb" so you can even roll over them and use the red brick portion to drive over.

Besides, it's a truck stop, and the driveway opening to the truck pumps is about 100 feet wide. There's no way that I would pull in to the first automobile entrance that is about 18 to 20 feet wide, and try to fuel up where the cars do, out in front of the store.

Having said all of that, there probably should be a sign at the entrance, stating that recreational diesel rigs over some certain length should use the truck lanes to fuel up.

Besides, I think that DQDick is just having some fun with the original post about the "situation" that he found himself in, and the "uber-skills" required to extricate himself, so I'll just leave it at that.

p.s. (did I mention that I dislike roundabouts?)

=O)
I suspect your right that the DQ was just having a little fun with his story.

And I totally agree with you on the drivers that don't understand roundabouts. That is why I am VERY much in favor of standardized highways!!! As in every intersection looks EXACTLY like any other one with no deviations except when absolutely necessary!! We are not going to get stupid drivers off the road so we have to do as much as we can not to confuse them!!

Having said that, I will admit to being a stupid driver on occasion myself when put in an unexpected situation or in an unfamiliar place (I think that is probably how DQ felt too)! That being said warning SIGNS would be a great idea!!! I suspect even the truck drivers would appreciate them.

I will say there are several truck stops that have separate RV filling stations! That is a great idea as it allows us to fill away from the truck drivers so we don't get in their way. Like others on here I have a great respect for the folks driving the truly big rigs and I don't like to inconvenience a hardworking driver!!

On a related subject there are also a lot of truck stops that have separate parking areas for RVs. That allows RV drivers to overnight without getting in the way of the drivers mentioned above.
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote