View Single Post
Old 01-21-2007, 11:15 AM   #27
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
With rare exception, we nearly always plan our stop.

I think Dsprik has something there. A lot does depend on the individual, whether it be personality, background, goals, whatever. In our weekend/vacation days our goal was to minimize time lost to travel and maximize pleasure time at our destination. That meant lots of miles per day, sometimes traveling through the night, even.

When we retired, I thought we'd slow down, but at first that still meant a lot of miles per day. And it meant go go go to see everything at the destination, then hustle on to the next one. Over time we discovered we enjoy taking more time to see what we want to see. That we don't have to hurry to get there nor when we are there. And the pleasure of our travels increased immeasurably. I find I enjoy the journey. I enjoy driving, always have. Towing doesn't bother me in the least. I like avoiding sterile interstates and taking US highways and seeing the small towns, the people and scenery along the road, etc.

I like knowing if I see a sign or a pullout for something we decide on the spur of the moment we want to see, we have the time to do that. It is amazing just how much there is to see in this country that many people don't even know exists because they are in a big hurry and sail right on by.

I also like to know where we're stopping that night. So I do plan that stop. It's our goal for the day. Sometimes we make reservations (holidays, weekends during prime camping season, etc.) and other times we do not.

I think Dave (dsprik) got it right. People differ. To each his own.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote