View Single Post
Old 10-05-2017, 06:03 AM   #13
WaltBennett
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13325
OK, first off, if those batteries were brand new decent deep cycle 12v ones, you'd probably be all right for a one night stay if not using the furnace. Three - four years old and in so-so shape - I'd be concerned about being able to get the slides in the next day if you used any incandescent lights and no furnace the night before. If you use only a few LED lights and no furnace, you'd probably be fine when wanting to leave.

Those incandescent light bulbs use a tremendous amount of current for what they do. Eight of them probably pull as much as the furnace fan. Your hot water heater on propane uses some 12v current to provide a spark to ignite the propane, but then a really small amount afterwards (mostly for the switch light). Your water pump runs on 12v and uses some, but I've never figured out how much - certainly less than the furnace.

If you've not tried 'dry running' this while at home where you can plug in afterwards, I'd recommend picking up a backup 12v deep cycle battery (Walmart or Costco?), fully charging it and bringing it along with jumper cables. This way you can be certain you'll be able to pull the slides back in and leave. Maybe there's an outlet close enough for a 100' heavy duty extension cord? Finally, Harbor Freight has some inexpensive inverter generators . . .