View Single Post
Old 11-08-2009, 07:08 AM   #2
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
This is what I did to insulate against the cold, but it also insulated against the heat, too:

I did a half-baked job of adding some insulation to some of the cabinets in our 3585SA when we lived in it through a -40 to -50 degree Montana winter. I had some pieces of 1/2" insulating foam board left around from a building project, so I cut them to fit the backs of cabinets. I attached them using double-faced tape. This was a last-minute, hasty job, so the pieces weren't cut too neatly, but it didn't take long to get the stuff up and the insulation improvement was immediate. It also keeps the cabinets cooler in the summer.

If we are lucky enough to sell our house and get to move back into the Monty for winter again, I am going to measure and make templates for each cabinet that I insulate (and this time I'll insulate every outside wall cabinet, closet, etc.). I'm sure the insulation will work better when that foam fits tightly from top to bottom and side to side. It was an easy project.

There are no doubt more efficient and better insulation methods out there, but since I did mine myself, that foam board was the easiest material to work with, especially when it came to cutting and mounting it.

Carolyn
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote