View Single Post
Old 09-23-2012, 06:43 PM   #67
BusyCarol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12641
Thanks Ron, woodtic (still find that to be an interesting username) and Bingo for your input! It is a tough choice in some regards...there are a lot of things to consider. Cost being the main consideration! We do a fair amount of drycamping (my definition is - no hookups but at a campsite not open land) about an hour away from us. My husband did not like the inconvenience of having to lug the portables out when we needed them and then take them down to prevent theft when we didn't. We also travel with dogs that would benefit a lot from being able to run a generator when driving. The noise is a big factor for me and the Yamaha's are not the loudest but definitely not the quietest units out there. When I go 'camping' I like to hear nature not the 'hum' of a gennie!

With that said the weight is different (100lb for two portable vs. 290lb for one built-in), the difference in cost (own the portables and the built-in is shall we say PRICEY), convenience (built-in wins that battles), and the fact that well...I don't know...like the capability of being able to run everything with it. Right now, with the altitude here and especially where we camp it is harder to run generators.

I do truly appreciate everyones input! Please keep it coming. We still haven't made a final decision. My husband is seriously looking at the 5500 vs 6500 per the MOC members suggestions! I still think we are going to end up with the 6500 but what can I say. It is his money!
BusyCarol is offline   Reply With Quote