View Single Post
Old 03-16-2012, 08:16 AM   #4
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
A few things to consider.... whatever torque a gasser provides, the diesel (405#s you mention above is about half what the diesel provides at 800#) will be better translating to better towing and pulling.

When you look at the power charts, the gasser doesn't start reaching it's best range until you are at its highest RPMs (4500), which means the gasser is almost maxed out as it approaches it's best performance. The diesel reaches its power range early in RPMs (1600) and this means as the engine RPMs are increased there is plenty of power to spare up the RPM range. This is one reason why diesels don't have to struggle and whine anywhere near a gasser when the strongest pulling is needed. Finally, the diesel uses less fuel at its strongest where the gasser will get sucked dry much quicker. Your MPGs will vary.

There are plenty of times where one "settles" for a gasser for cost or infrequent towing usages, just know that when you try to work the truck it WILL struggle more than its diesel counterpart and at less weight ratings.

I opted to pay a little more for the diesel for the comfort when it's being worked hard. I saved lots of money buying the best truck I might need now and for towing, rather than buying two trucks (a gasser, then a diesel). I have found all kinds of reasons for using my beast (trips, hauling, towing, helping others) since I do have it and this has been a great investment so far.

Here's a link to the 2012 Ford trucks comparing the gas versus diesel. As expected, the diesel has higher rating in ALL areas. If your needs are satisfied with the gasser then you are good to go:

http://www.ford.com/trucks/superduty...ations/towing/

Your money, your choice, but you do have a right to experience the "darn, I wish I had that diesel right now". In the meantime, DO NOT expect to tow or haul as much with the gasser. But do keep in mind the diesel has its limits, too. Then duallies, and stronger frames and suspension increase the capabilities. It can be tough determining your long term decisions right now, but just keep within capabilities for the best in safety for you, your family and others around you.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote