View Single Post
Old 06-22-2019, 10:49 AM   #27
Theunz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18384
Funny how we complain about the build quality of the modern RV, but sing the praises of the modern unreliable diesel. Almost everybody has had expensive repairs and often trips interrupted because of breakdowns, sometimes requiring towing of both the truck and trailer. I can't remember the last time one of my gas vehicles had to be towed. While I'll be the first to admit that the power and so called "fuel economy" of the diesels is far superior to its gas counterpart, if a gas engine was available at about 75% of the diesels performance I think it would be an overwhelming success. Sure your fuel cost would go up, but that $10,000 or so you saved by not paying for the diesel option would go a LONG way to cover gas costs. Your maintenance costs would also be much lower. When I sold my 90 F350 7.3 and bought my 05 F250 6.0 I was thrilled with the power increase and thought that it was all the power you would ever need. The 6.0 was 325 hp and about 570 lbs of torque if I remember right and the only time I wished for more power was in the high mountains with long steep climbs. If Ford can come in as predicted with a gas engine somewhere between their current gas offering and the diesel at say 400 hp and 650 to 700 lbs of torque than I think it would be an excellent choice for most of the Montana owners