View Single Post
Old 02-18-2014, 03:23 PM   #24
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jswharton

I was having the same problem with the slids. Today I had the 50 nap fuse replaced with a new 50 amp fuse and the problem was fixed. While I was prepared to consider the 80 amp solution it was just a poor/weak 50 amp. Now we'll see how long it lasts!

The old fuse did seen to have a post the move back and forth once it was removed. Could not notice while it was installed
Actually an auto reset circuit breaker, not a fuse if like most of us have. I replaced my 50 with a new 50 and it lasted the rest of the season. The next season it started it again. That is when I put in the twin 40's.
Auto reset circuit breaker sounds like a somewhat sophisticated device. Actually it is nothing more that a short bimetalic strip with an electrical contact on one end. When it heats up, the strip bends and pulls the contact open. When it cools it bends back closing the contact again. The problem is that electrical current, especially DC current, does not like to stop flowing. When the contact opens the arcing that occurs burns the contact a little. That will cause more heating the next time. And each time it does it, it gets a little worse.

Here is what the breaker looks like, burned.

BB_TX is online now   Reply With Quote