Thread: New Texas Laws?
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2008, 11:18 AM   #10
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Just went through a bit of a scare here -- a coworker came back after the holidays advising myself and my boss that "as of the 1st of January - we all have to have CDLs to pull our trailers". Reason -- the Kansas law says that you must have a CDL if you drive a truck with GVWR that is over 26000 pounds, a combined rig that has a GCWR of over 26000 pounds, or (and this is what gets us), pull a trailer that has a weight of over 10000 pounds (from the KS web site "if the GVWR of the vehicle or vehicles being towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds"). I called the drivers license office and they told me that does not apply to recreational vehicles. Stopped by the local county Registrar's office where we pay our annual property taxes and get our plates each year and asked them again. They (several of the ladies working there), did some research, called Topeka, and came back and told me it didn't apply to Recreation Vehicles (RVs). It was meant for things like flat bed trailers, horse trailers, etc... I asked them where it said that specifically and they couldn't show it to me. So -- where does that leave me (and others licensed in Kansas)??? I don't have a real answer but it is in writing in several places (the printed CDL manual says it the same way as the web site) so .......
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote