Thread: New Texas Laws?
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2008, 02:01 AM   #1
nailbender
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5811
New Texas Laws?

I found this on the Escapee Forum. Has anybody heard about this or have other information about it?

I just found out something very interesting that I thought I would share with the group. In the state of Texas, and supposedly every other state for that matter, Highway Patrol officers and the equivalent thereof, are being sent thru a very rigorous training for DOT inspection, weights and measures, and drivers lisc. laws as they pertain to weight. I have a very good friend who just finished his second leg of (3) two week training sessions that last 5 days at 9 hours per day. He explained to me that they are receiving data on different brands of trailers, weights, etc. He said the first two week session was nothing more than data on the LDT, MDT, and HDT trucks themselves. They had to learn exactly how to find things like GVWR, GCWR, etc on ANY vehicle. They are going to be equipped with portable scales, etc. They are being trained on the type scan systems like the UPS drivers carry and you sign your citation with a stylist pencil and it prints your ticket. The citation is registered with the next closest available port of entry to the bordering states....!!!!!! Every port of entry will be tied to a national data base that will show any citation you have received in the last so many days, weeks, etc. He explained to me that there has been a gross influx of RV, horse, and motorsports trailers in the last 5 years, and the general introduction to this training cited this as the reason. He said they were shown DMV & insurance data that an accident in the state of Texas was 6 times more likely to involve a trailer than just that of 3 years ago. (That fact in itself, is blowing away my weak mind). He explained that folks with air brakes WERE going to be tested at the point of contact if there is a question as far as drivers lisc. issue. (My weak mind is only assuming that an air brake truck, or the MDT/HDTs, are less likely to get pulled over because they have less chance of being overloaded). They are being trained in the "on-site, multi-point, DOT inspection that requires an officer to crawl under a truck, etc...He explained to me that not every officer had even been informed but they were all going to school in 2008.
nailbender is offline   Reply With Quote