Thread: Disc Brakes
View Single Post
Old 11-17-2019, 04:35 PM   #14
Theunz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18384
Quote:
Originally Posted by laverdur View Post
There is no question that disc brakes offer stopping power that is superior to drums. However, I'd like to comment on the original post where Theunz talked about locking up the trailer brakes. Years ago, adjusting the trailer brake controller (TBC) until the trailer brakes locked up at about 25 mph on clean dry pavement was the standard. That all changed with the advent of anti-lock brakes on TVs. Now, lockup is not a desirable thing. The guidance today is to adjust the TBC until the sensation of the trailer pushing the TV ceases. Additionally, the integration of anti-lock brakes and factory TBC on TVs makes it almost impossible to lock up trailer brakes.
Absolutely agree with you that you do not want your brakes to lock up, however in my case the trailer brakes feel like Fred Flintstone brakes. At 25mph using trailer brakes alone I feel like I could do as well just by dragging my feet. I'm about 14,000lbs loaded, and I think that the drum brakes are just overwhelmed by the weight. My truck has ample brakes to slow down the truck and trailer in normal braking conditions, but in a panic situation I think I would be in deep do-do!