Thread: Full Time TV
View Single Post
Old 11-02-2005, 02:34 AM   #6
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
We use Dish Network. On the road the Houston locals (ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox and others) are not available when we out of range of what Dish (and Direct) call spot beaming of the locals which is about 300 miles from the Houston area. To pick up these stations we use the trailer antenna. The dish is about 10 pounds and I set it up on a tri-pod, takes about 10 minutes with a good compass and satellite finder available at CW or Radio Shack. As far as carrying it, we're not full-timers so it is stored in the basement of the trailer. We did make an extended trip a few years back and needed the space so the dish rode in the back of the truck between the tool box and hitch.

Setting up a Dish Network dish is a little more involved than one from Direct TV as you have to set three angles for Dish rather than two for Direct. There has been some discussion here on the forum about the newer Dish receivers and the need for two co-ax's for them to work and the Monty not being wired to accept them. I have no experience with the satellite dish and internet systems as when we are on the road the internet is not important to me.

As far as cable at parks, they usually charge a fee to hook up to cable. Since I have the dish I do not pay the additional fee for park cable and set up the dish.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote