View Single Post
Old 02-17-2016, 10:49 AM   #24
RRman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7196
My truck came with a movable Ball.
My due diligence research led me to the the Star Performance Gooseneck Adapter which worked well for many years on my Montana. VERY VERY Bad roads in LA eventually led to this very strong and glider motion adapter (everything has limits) to slightly bend the pinbox kingpin plate slightly up at the rear so eventually I replaced the entire pinbox with a Reese Goosebox "certified" for use with any Lippert Frame.

The Goosebox was a pain to use as it wanted grease on the coupler for every tow and almost every tow the airbag had to be refilled as the 50 PSI check valve would "puff" out the air going down any bumpy road. And it was very slow to refill the bag besides being inconvenient.

A TERRIBLE pothole in West Texas (disabled truck transmission, bounced 8lb Kitchen Aid Mixer out of the Sink...) apparently exceeded the Goosebox's abilities and cracked the front frame beam, which only became apparent a few tows/weeks later as the RV dropped onto my truck's bed rails.

The Goosebox was in use less than a year and Lippert wouldn't even replace it under warranty.

A new stronger front frame "box" was welded in along with a new 16K Pinbox along with another Star Performance adapter in March 15.

Have towed from Dallas TX (Mar 15) to Montgomery AL to NC to very Northern WI and back to AL via OH and then to north of Dallas and finally the RGV in Dec 15 without a problem.

I'm sure the West TX pothole would have cracked any frame with any hitch...

Your mileage may vary!
RRman is offline   Reply With Quote