View Single Post
Old 04-20-2013, 02:22 PM   #8
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by RKassl

We will be traveling through Canada on our way to Alaska in a couple of weeks and have noticed that it is common to have less than 30 amps sometimes 15 to amps at campsites. My question is what is the BEST/Safest way to connect the Monty to the pedestal? I have a heavy duty 30 amp shoreline that I could use an adapter on to attach, or should I use a pigtail adapter right away and then use a heavy duty outdoor extension cord to the connection on the pedestal? I just don't know if the heavy duty 30 amp line would build up too much heat or would the 20 amp extension cord? Or am I just splitting hairs at this point?

Thanks!
You ask a good question.

The 30 Amp line has larger wire therefore less resistance which = less heat and less loss.
The 20 Amp extension cord has smaller wire and could heat more and have higher loss.

So - If you don't mind pulling the 30 amp cord and plugging it into a 30/20 amp step down plug or dog bone that is the most efficient. Will you ever notice the difference, probably not but that is the electrical answer.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote