View Single Post
Old 09-11-2019, 09:20 AM   #23
scottkeen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20894
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKassl View Post
Our first Montana a 2005 was a very solid unit, it survived a 10,000 mile Alaska trip with no problems at all. Our current 2015 is nice, but from what I see I would never do the same trip with it. I really feel that as these trailers get "nicer" they seem to be more fragile and that's when things start to break.

I could be wrong, but I think as they make the newer RVs "nicer" then they get heavier, and since they're all trying to reduce weight so they can appeal to a broader customer base of trucks that can tow it, they have to cut corners somewhere to save weight so they can sell many RVs.

For example, the "Ultra Light" trailers can be towed by a mid-size SUV and they have lots of nice, modern amenities. But to save on weight so the manufacturer can sell their trailer to everyone with a Toyota 4Runner and up, they cut weight by reducing wall thickness and insulation. And probably some other things.

However, there are manufacturers that don't seem to compromise on the weight trade-off because their market is high-end and won't accept compromises and are willing to pay a high price tag. Something like a DoubleTree Mobile Suites seems like a no-compromise RV but it's really heavy so only the biggest of trucks can tow it.
scottkeen is offline   Reply With Quote