View Single Post
Old 12-17-2010, 01:55 AM   #8
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Art-n-Marge

Since you'll be in a double wide closeby, you're right that the main thing to worry about are the batteries. Take them out, keep them at your double wide but store them where they can stay dry and away from freezing and where there's some ventilation (I've read that even sealed maintenance-free batteries need ventilation). Put them on a trickle charger every 2-3 months to keep them fresh and check the water level periodically to prevent the cells from drying out. This is what's recommended. There are also Battery Tenders/Minder/Charger/Conditioners that allow you to keep them connected when in storage the whole time but you'll still need to check the water. I have heard some folks have had their batteries for several years this way. Most that don't maintain their batteries or keep them in the rigs unmaintained might not fare as well. I've also read that allowing a battery to completely discharge, then recharge them and doing this repeatedly will shorten the life of the battery.

From my experience I will warn you that this does not prevent a battery from failing at all but it sure helps keep them around and working for a lot longer.

And Happy Holidays to you too, Randye. May your stay at the Mobile Home park be filled with good times and new friends.
We have used the Battery Tender for over three years and always enjoy a fully charged battery when we are ready to hit the road. Since we do not currently have power at our storage facility, we need to remove the battery each time we put our Montana in storage...that is the only down side we have discovered.
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote