View Single Post
Old 11-15-2012, 11:30 AM   #14
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Bucky573

You might want to read this article concerning tires on 5ver's if you haven't seen it.
http://www.thisoldcampsite.com/This_..._Alignmen.html
I had this problem on my 2006 3400RL. Kept eating tires until I had an alignment. I now have Firestone transforce on and have about 2500mi. without an issue.(knock on wood!) I also had the alignment guy build me a horizontal brace to fit between the Mor Ryde boxes on my 5ver. Mor Ryde sells a light duty brace called "X-Factor". This time if I do have another blowout it's less likely to knock the wheels out of alignment due to the shift in weight from the blown tire.
I read the article, tire wear is a little like a detective case, you read the clues and deduct the reason why the wear is there. Sometimes the clues are good and the results of your investigation are easy, as in the writers case, sometimes not so much.
In my example of wear, (and countless others) the outside edges of all tires wore equally. My rig is not overloaded as per the tire ratings, I had only 3,500 miles on them when my wife noticed the wear...she doesn't miss mch.. my tire inflation was spot on, so it was and is, sort of a mystery unsolved, but my money is a poor design, whether it be an improper rubber-mixture for trailer tires, or not enough shoulder rubber on the tires. Goodyear won't admit to that, but they do admit that the wear is there, and gave me 4 new tires.
I'm glad the Firestone tires are working for you, we all might have a look at them, let us know how they are doing in another 2,000 or so miles.
Ozz
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote