View Single Post
Old 07-24-2018, 04:42 AM   #46
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
Duramax

I traded my 03 2500 long bed SRW on the 2014 1 ton. I will echo previous post about the improvements in new generation trucks. Wow!

03 had 265k when I traded it in...not trouble free however. New injectors at 175k. Had to get tranny rebuilt at 165k due to some internal harness that went bad and the guy said we might as well rebuild while we have it off. Unfortunately I don’t recall the details. Several alternators. Brake hydro boost unit. Several bearing replacements. The fuel injector control module started showing mysterious signs of pending failure and truck would just die. It seemed like we had something go wrong on every trip we took. DW said “that’s it...new truck or I’m not going anywhere”. Truck had been paid off for a long time but we were making $1200 payments every time something went wrong.

Found the 2014 1 ton, 2 yrs old at the time with 13k miles on it for $50k. It now has 83k on it. Incredible truck and a pleasure to drive. The exhaust brake feature blew me away in the Arkansas hills a few weeks ago. There has been couple of DEF related warranty issues but they were minor. When I bought it I talked to my independent diesel mechanic and he encouraged me to delete DEF after warranty ran out. I checked with him again a couple of months ago and he has changed his opinion on delete. Seems it was a bigger problem on 2011-12 models but he has seen fewer problems with newer gen models. Plus if you delete DEF dealer will not accept the truck in future trade.
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote