View Single Post
Old 05-14-2005, 05:43 PM   #37
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
Hi Folks,

I replaced mine today. What a surprise to see the amount of damage to the Shackles. This is after only aprox. 15,000 miles including the delivery to AZ.

Answering the AL-KO/Dexter question, about whether or not you can use the Dexter on the AL-KO. Well almost. There is a clearance recommended by Dexter. It should be, minimum of 1.5" between the Rigs frame and the spring eyes. After assembly I had about 1.1" on mine.

A quick test determined that a difference in axle height of about 3", say over a curb or a good sized dip does cause the spring to hit the frame. It may be OK, but I wanted the Min. I'm cutting the middle hangers off and installing a 1/2" steel spacer between the frame and hangers, then welding it back together. This will give me a 1.6" clearance.

The Dexter Kit looks great, and should last the life of the Rig. but I am fortunate to have the equipment to do this modification.

Keystone should step up. This should have never happened.

If you have the Dexter Axle and you don't have the 1/2" thick shackles with the grease fittings I would like to encourage you to have them installed.

Happy Camping

azstar is offline   Reply With Quote