View Single Post
Old 08-14-2018, 06:26 PM   #52
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarWin View Post
Has ANYONE here been cited for being overweight while pulling their camper? In over 50 years of my life being around trucking and being a trucker myself,I have NEVER witnessed a camper being cited for overweight violations. Im NOT saying it can't happen, but even doing an online search hasn't turned up any cases.

SAFETY should always be the utmost concern, but it also helps to know how to handle the equipment that you have too. Some have NO CLUE how to tow any trailer, let alone a 40` 5er!!!
I am kinda with ya that the chances of you being cited for being overweight with an RV are fairly remote. Especially in the USA and away from the coasts.

But as you so aptly put it SAFETY should be the primary focus. I have been rather forceful in my defense of "buying more truck than you need". That isn't because of legal reasons but rather for SAFETY. A little extra cushion is always a good thing. Granted you may drive a half million miles and never encounter a situation where the extra margin makes a difference but odds are against it.

And likewise everyone who deals with mechanics knows that a heavier duty truck doing the same job as a lighter duty truck will last longer and have fewer issues that is just common sense.

Granted is there a point where you go overboard? Certainly! You don't need a Kenworth to tow a popup. But going to a one ton dually when a 3/4 ton SRW would barely be enough is not an outrageous as some folks would try to make it sound on here!!!

I just haven't heard a really good argument for pushing the limits!

Wide fenders? Please like you can't walk an extra 10 yards?

Better fuel mileage? You do realize your towing a monster RV right? Maybe a Prieus is more your style.

Less expensive truck? Now didn't you just buy one of the largest RVs on the market? Like you don't have deeper pockets than your letting on or maybe you shouldn't have bought that big of a camper?

I mean really some of the arguments against a larger truck are just so lame.........
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote