View Single Post
Old 03-04-2018, 08:00 AM   #2
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctwebb View Post
Hi All, I was looking to upgrade the truck I noticed on the 2016 F 350 srw the GVWR is 11,300. These trucks weigh around 8600 pounds or more. So are these guys towing overloaded? That would leave a pin weight of max 2700 pounds. Most montanas advertise around 2600 pin weight or more. I have a F-250 now and was thinking of moving to a F-350 , but if it is still going to be overloaded it makes no sense.
Ok someone start the popcorn again!

Like you I had an F 250. It was gas SRW short bed 4x4 (because I would have had to special order 2x4 in Arkansas). Knowing that was planning on getting a larger camper and also had just purchased a larger tractor, I decided to move up to a 1ton diesel DUALLY long bed 4x4. I towed my old camper with it for a while and the difference was absolutely amazing!!! Where the 3/4 ton SRW kept me on pins and needles the dually was very stable and inspired a great deal of confidence!!!

Again let me say that the following is intended as advice for someone asking for it. It is not intended as an insult to anyone who does not own a 1 ton diesel dually longbed 4x4!

This will start a heated debate but look at the dually! There are several good reasons why most of us are towing with them! If your primary use of the truck is to tow and or you like to be safe and legal doing so then a dually is to most (but not all) of us the best choice. They are a bit harder to park at the beauty shop or in downtown Manhattan but make up for it with additional capacity and stability particularly when loaded.

My favorite analogy is stand with your feet together and have someone push your shoulder, when you get back up spread your feet and have them push you again.

Your also spreading the load across two more tires!

That is why most of us drive a dually! It’s sure as heck is NOT a prestige thing!

Several posts on this website debating best tow truck options. Nothing seems to get folks more stirred up.
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote