View Single Post
Old 04-03-2012, 03:43 PM   #9
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
There are two speed limits to know about.

First, the posted speed limit and in some states I've seen 80mph! In California, if you are towing it's 55mph, but no one follows it.

The second is the speed limit for Marathon tires which is 65mph no matter what is posted for a road. Doing this will put you on the owner abuse list, not their Marathon failure list. Some people change tires out to LTs which have a much higher speed limit.

I try to travel between 60 and 65, because towing a trailer at 55mph gives me horrible mpgs.

Like DQDick alludes, the deliveries are probably not done staying under 65mph, and this is probably much of the cause of infant mortality of tires. Then many owners not knowing of this limitation. I was ignorant to buy replacement Marathons for the Mission bombs and they are still holding up well. It might be because I learned about how to take care of tires and I try real hard not to abuse them (park straight, no curb jumping, stay under 65MPH, check the psi often). We shall see. Will I buy Marathons next time? Nope.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote