View Single Post
Old 03-26-2006, 12:51 PM   #30
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Our earlier trucks we bought the shortbed so it would fit in the garage. We don't have a garage anymore so the last purchase was not for that reason. Rather it was for maneuverability. The '05 and later Ford F250/F350 4x4 models have a new frontend that allows the truck to make much tighter turns than the 4x2 and prior year versions. So, we were able to go to a crew cab shortbed and have a decent turning radius. Not as good as a car but tremendous for a crewcab 3/4 and 1 ton trucks.

Also, we have a slider hitch, just in case, but have only used the slider 4 times in 11 years. The nose on our Montana allows a much sharper turn than most fifthwheels. The slider is there if we need a sharper turn. I undertand the nose on the brand new Montanas eliminates the need for a slider hitch but I'd have to see it for myself to say if I agree or not.

As Don said above, the shortbed comes with a smaller tank (in the Ford). Mine is 29 gallons vs the 38 gallons in the longbed. I find 29 gallons in the diesel version to be plenty. Neither of us can go that long without a potty and stretch stop anyhow.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote