View Single Post
Old 08-27-2019, 07:20 PM   #9
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlakejim View Post

However, I still vouch for the more logical location in the receiver on your tow vehicles rear bumper. Its out of the weather and bugs, the bikes are ready to go to town with you without reloading and most importantly the bikes are very low to the ground and easy to load/unload (no matter if your hooked up or not). And yes you still have plenty of room between the bikes and the trailer. If your concerned about issues with the bikes being in the way when you hitch or unhitch fear not as they make a tilting bike rack that cures that problem (it wasn't an issue with our bike rack with our old tow truck and trailer). Of course the HC 381TH cured the issue with the basement garage.....
As I mentioned in a previous thread on the same subject, I do not have room between the back of my truck and the front of the trailer for a bike rack. You may. I do not. With my tailgate down I have maybe 6” clearance. I have to be fairly straight on when hooking up so the corner of the tailgate does not hit the trailer. And it would hit if it were down and I made a turn. With a tilting rack the top of the bikes would probably be under the front of the trailer. And unless it had some kind of tilt stop, it would be sliding along the ground when backing. And yes, my hitch pin latch is centered over the axle.

As for bugs, no different than a front hitch that I don’t want. And I also do not want the bikes on the rear of the trailer.

And I don’t take my bikes to town, or sightseeing. We don’t ride them for that and I would not want to always have to haul them around trying to park or have to unload them before every trip to town.

My arrangement is more logical for me. Obviously yours is to you.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote