View Single Post
Old 07-13-2012, 11:12 AM   #13
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bigskyjimmy

Do not count out the ford gaser when you get the right gearing they are a pleasure to have A.K.A. LOW MAINTENANCE! I just hit 120k on my V10 the only thing I have ever done is spark plugs at a 100k,oil changes,air filter,end of story! will the diesels beat me up the pass? Yup,better gas mileage? Yep,some people do not need or want the extra cost and upkeep of a diesel BUT if I was putting mass miles every year traveling the U.S. yes I would get a diesel, so it depends on how big your 5th is and how much you travel, just my thoughts, my neighbor use to brag about his 6.0 kicking my v10 butt until last month it went in for 5k in repair bills he is not smiling anymore
Other than fuel filters (which gas engines have too), I'm not seeing what extra maintenance you are talking about. Both have air filters, oil filters and fuel filters, but while the diesel has no spark plugs, they do have glow plugs which are similar, so I'll call that one a wash. Diesel fuel filters do have to be changed more often, but for a do-it-yourselfer, it's an easy job.

A bigger plus to the gas version would be the initial lower cost of the vehicle over diesel and the cost/availability of the gas over diesel. However diesel trucks do have better resale values, and when comparing pulling fuel economy, I believe the diesel fuel costs will even out or possibly be lower than the gas costs.

For someone who only pulls a trailer once or twice a year and typically short distances, gas may be a wise choice. For someone who full times or takes 1000+ mile vacations, especially where mountains are involved, diesel is the way to go.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote