Thread: Directv
View Single Post
Old 09-03-2008, 05:21 AM   #10
abonzer
Established Member

M.O.C. #7370
You will need a DirecTV receiver box to make your Tivo work. The DirecTV DVR has the recorder and the converter built into one unit. Tivo receives its programming schedule through the internet or phone line, not over the air, so you will have to set this up to poll the Tivo servers to update the programming schedule. The DirecTV DVR receives its programming from the satellite with no need to “phone home”.
If it were me, I would go with the DirecTV DVR.

As to your second question- No, you cannot go from the dish to the RV without the converter box.

Third question- I don’t know how yours is wired, I am sure others do on this forum; however this will also depend on the output of the DVR.
Start with the signal at the dish, then the signal is converted by the converter box or DVR. This conversion can be digital, composite out or analog RF. Some will do all three. For simplicity I would want analog RF. Once you have the analog RF you can apply that to your TV cable connection and tune to channel 3 or 4. Now the trick is to get this RF signal to the front bedroom. Again, I am not familiar with how the internal wring is set up with your 5er.

Hope this is of some help and not too confusing.

Definitions that may help-

Converter box- This converts the satellite signal to a signal that your TV can receive. It also receives the programming schedule so that you can see what’s on your TV from the satellite.

Tivo- Tivo is a recorder that takes the signal from your converter box and records programs for future watching. Tivo calls the Tivo servers and receives the programming so that you can see what is on TV. Tivo takes control of the converter box to enable it to record shows at designated times. If Tivo is unable to call it will not be able to have the ability to see what is on TV. It only stores about a weeks worth of programming. This is the fee that you pay to Tivo, it is the ability to get the programming.

DirecTV DVR- In simple terms it combines the two units above. The benefit is that it receives its programming from the satellite. Also, if you have an issue, you only have to deal with one unit and one provider.

Common outputs from the DVR or Satellite converter box-

Digital out- This will be labeled “HDMI”. This is for the newer sets and combines a digital picture with digital audio in one cable

Composite- This will be three cables with jacks called “RCA” Your will have two audio cables (red & white) and one video
Cable (yellow)

Analog Out- This will be a cable connection that will usually say “To TV” or “Output” This is the most common method that people are familiar with.
abonzer is offline   Reply With Quote