Thread: Awning question
View Single Post
Old 05-20-2019, 07:02 AM   #12
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmill8 View Post
Follow on awning question, awning arm caps say wind this way to increase tension. I assume caps have to be removed from arm ends to wind for more tension. Must be directions posted somewhere for doing this action.
On the ones I've worked on you have to drill the rivets to remove the cap.

It's best to start with the awning about 2 feet out from the trailer. You first have to lock it with a pin through the provided holes...this is critical. Then unbolt the head from the arm and lift it out. Grab the tab with a vise grip, hold on, then remove the pin that is locking the head. The spring can now be unwound to relax it, then rewind to the proper number of turns (usually adding 2 turns for the 2' distance from the trailer), the lock pin replaced, and the head rebolted to the arm. Replace the rivets, remove the pin and try the awning.

Again...this was my experience on the awning I was working on. Make sure you understand the methods and specs on yours. Also, handled incorrectly, the spring is not your friend. Just be careful.

Watch a couple YouTube videos on the topic. Best if you can find one for your model.
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote