View Single Post
Old 10-25-2019, 09:35 PM   #8
PNW Fireguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18081
While all vehicles require maintenance and repairs my research does not coincide with the opinions expressed in your post. I am finding that on almost all maintenance items an owner is paying 20-30% more than comparable items on a one ton modern pickup. I personally only looking at Volvo's so I have to say that my familiarities are with the VNL line of trucks. So that being said they come with a 5 year 500,000 mile warranty. You can buy one within warranty for considerably less than a new 3500 dually top trim package vehicle. They are rated for 1,000,000 miles before needed major work. As we all know things go wrong and when buying a used vehicle buyer beware for not doing your homework. Most class 8 trucks converted for RV hauler usage are single so a lot of that stiff suspension issue goes away. The added braking, the decreased weight desparity and the increased comfort in driving are all very good reasons to consider an HDT. I personally don't think the maintenance costs are a big deterant. If however you just buy the first truck you see without doing due diligence to check it out including dyno and wind up needing a new motor it's going to hurt. But then again how much is a new motor for late model F350 or 3500? Thats going to hurt too. After market warranties are available for HDT's just as they are for pickups. I guess my point is don't be so quick to discount the HDT. They are not for everyone but they are a growing sector within the 5th wheel niche.
PNW Fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote