View Single Post
Old 08-10-2013, 04:34 PM   #1
Slufoot733
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9928
Stabilizer motor repair.

As we prepared to depart for the Mid-Atlantic rally in Mt. Airy, NC, I noticed the stabilizers would not retract. The motor sputtered and died. Glad to have the hand crank backup. Anyway, after returning home I tore into the motor. As you know it's mounted behind the tire and is subject to water thrown by the tire from a wet road surface.

I removed the motor by removing the four screws and cutting the wires. When I got the motor on my workbench I immediately found brown, rusty water seeping out of the motor housing. I removed the rubber 'boot' covering the motor by slicing down the side and pealing it back. Then I removed the two long screws and removed the end cap. Next came the motor case with the two field magnets. More brown, rusty water pours our. Now I see rust on the armature and muddy water in the brushes and commutator. A continuity test showed no contact between the brushes. Further inspection showed the brush springs were rusted; one broke and the other was very weak.

I did a thorough cleaning. I polished the commutator, dressed the brushes, and replaced the springs with some little springs from my 'spare parts box'. After reassembling everything I applied power and the motor ran great. Both forward and reverse.

Once I was satisfied everything was good to go I applied clear automotive RTV silicon sealant to all the seams in an effort to prevent water from entering the motor again. I also plan to design some kind of shield just ahead of the motor to deflect as much road water as possible.

The motor is in a bad position but I cannot think of any other place to mount it. The best thing we can do is protect it from moisture as best we can.

If you have issues with your stabilizer motor then odds are it's from the water thrown from a rain soaked road surface.
Slufoot733 is offline   Reply With Quote