View Single Post
Old 04-22-2019, 06:27 PM   #15
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by bshgto View Post
[B][/BI speak from lots of experience from both sides. I had a late model SRW diesel pulling a 35 foot Montana HC and it did just fine, was at the max and just a little over on payload with all the junk I carry even had a 37 gal. Aux. fuel tank that put it over payload when full but it pull steady enough for me after I put air bags on it. Ease of use after towing was a big plus and the wife would drive and give me a break once in a while. ( still can`t get her to pull the camper).
Then after the Hershey Rv show (RV shows can be dangerous to your wallet) I got a wild hair and went out and bought a new Rear Den Montana. It is much heavier and longer and after a couple of trips I did notice it was a little squirmy in high winds even with new tires. So after about 32 seconds of thought I went out and bought a 350 Dually and I must say it pulls much steadier and trucks passing and high winds do not push you around like before. More bed space, a much higher payload I`m at 5595 lbs at my trim level. The new trucks are much quieter inside. The motor Dieseling sound is almost gone. The wife says she feels much safer riding in the truck when towing.
The down side is a much harsher ride when unloaded and you really need to park in the satellite parking areas if you don`t want the plus size white head in her roller skate car clipping your rear fenders pulling into parking spaces. No drive thru`s or car washes. Maybe others will but my wife won`t drive it, young bucks in their jacked up diesel trucks with big tires want to race you, the others gun their engines at you at traffic lights, young females will smile at you more. The cost will be Mid 70`s and your insurance will go up. Some companies will classify it as commercial and then it really goes up. Some HOA`s will NOT let you park a Dually on the street. I had to push the back of my garage out 2` so it would fit in.
But all in all I would NOT pull the new 41` beasts with a SRW after trying it for a time.
]
This from a guy who has owned BOTH. That should speak volumes!!!! Until you have owned and towed with BOTH your not qualified to offer advice on this subject!!
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote