View Single Post
Old 08-20-2007, 03:15 PM   #1
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
TrailAir Installation Update

I've received a few emails wanting more info on my suspension mod. The following is a little clarification between two similar products and my own preference. TrailAir has a product called EquaFlex and Dexter has a product called EZ Flex. They are very similar to one another. The reason I went with TrailAir is because the rubber in their product is encapsulated under pressure like a motormount ... Dexter's seems to be but a rubber bumper. In my opinion, TraiAir's will last longer by design.
TrailAir's website isn't much help so I emailed TrailAir direct of my interest and got a reply from Kara Hunt. I dealt directly with her. You'll need your axle rating as in #6000 or #7000 and the current shackle length center of hole to center of hole which I believe will be 2.25" as mine were. Just email or call her karahunt@trailair.com or 800-998-4238
I ordered the wetbolt kit (@$50) along with the Equa-Flex. It's basically a set of greasable bolts and bronze bushings to replace the teflon originals. It takes about 2 hrs per side, but it's a simple swap if you have the a couple of bottle jacks and a couple of floor jacks as in my photo. Hook your fiver to your truck and raise the front legs ... easier and safer for the task at hand. Here are a few photos that will help your installation. Be sure and press the bolts into the shackles before assy on the fiver ... you can also use a vise for this operation. Also using a vise to tweek the 2 bolts in or out ... make sure you can slip the free shackle onto the 2 bolts as in the photo all before you start reassembly. Using a C clamp and a piece of metal makes lining up the spring eyes soooo much easier. I assembled the equalizer and shackles first then replaced the outboard spring bolts and bushings last. Good Luck! It's money well spent.

dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote