Thread: Towing Speed
View Single Post
Old 07-11-2018, 09:38 AM   #103
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbrace7 View Post
I was awarded a truck drivers license by the US Army in 1971, before CDLs were mandated. I've driven some crazy loads in strange places. But the worst of the RVers out there are the ones that get out of the right lane and drag their feet under the speed of the flow of traffic and impeding everyone. Get in the slow lane if you are slow! Company trucks are governed at 72mph for a reason : fuel economy. Keep up with them and get out of the way. Your little 22,000 lbs is tinkertoy play for the pros. Be as considerate of the big guys as you are for the texting millennials that are out to kill us all. Tires are the limiting factor mechanically, driver skill level is the mental limit. Seeing a retired 70+yo Cubicle Dwelling Prius driver behind the wheel of a huge class A pulling a toad, going 55 in a 70 in the rain is scary. Im a retired driver/ mechanic that believes in requiring licenses for the size of the vehicle is the way to go. And, yes, I do pull my 5er at posted limits, but I'm set up to do it.

Our history is similar. Uncle Sam allowed me to drive his tactical tractors pulling some pretty big loads in several countries, one of which the folks liked shooting at us.

I have always drove my fivers or MHs below the speed limit and always been extremely careful of my stopping distance. The unit we have now could easily run 80mph all day long but I would never consider driving like that.