Thread: screen door mod
View Single Post
Old 10-21-2015, 06:32 PM   #9
tooth ferry
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17209
Bought clear replacement slide at CW the non-slide part was too small so I went to Hobby Lobby (DW's version of CW)and got a piece of Plexiglas (like used in picture frames)and cut it to fit that side. Lowes cut plexiglas to my measurements for the lower part of the door and cut the top piece except for the radiused top corners which I trimmed to fit with a coping saw fine blade. Did not remove screens,just placed plexiglas inside the offset and held in place with small mirror mounts reversed so the thick end fits inside the offset.Drill holes in the mounts first then use as guide to drill holes in frame, careful not to go all the way through.#6 x 1/2"SS sheet metal screws. Also added another handle lower down on the outside and attached to upper handle with a 3/4"strip of plexiglas to enable opening from the ground. Also added one through a slot cut in bottom of the slider and attached to the top handle to open from inside without opening the slide part. Can remove or replace plexiglas in 5 or 10 minutes to allow breeze when weather is right. Cost about $35. 2 Hours. Do not need strength and plexiglas is a lot cheaper than lexan.
tooth ferry is offline   Reply With Quote