Thread: Level towing?
View Single Post
Old 11-15-2016, 04:36 AM   #12
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
My rig rides higher in front than back by only about 1 to 2 degrees. I don't know what's better (nose-high or rear-end high). I prefer nose high since that provides more clearance for my truck bed rails, but I thought I recalled long ago, I was told rear-end high was better so that there's more control by the Tow Vehicle, but I just don't know. I've been towing like this for over 10 years and not had any problems associated with this so I just don't worry about it.

As for the air bags, there is NO number one can use for all rigs. There are too many dependencies. The best thing to use is the distance from the top of the rear tire to the lowest point of the rear fender. Here's what I do. With no load in the truck measure the distance from the tire to the fender. Then, attach the rig and there will be some sag. Measure this distance. Then inflate the bags until the stance is about 1/2 the measured distances. I do this because our TVs sit at their highest when not loaded. Then you put a load on the truck and using only 1/2 the difference means the truck will be more level (and not high), so that if you have your lights on, they are not turned into highbeams. Using this technique I put about 50 lbs in my airbags. When carrying loads in my truck bed, I use about 35 lbs. I suppose if I was carrying a load of bricks I might need 80 to 100 lbs. It all depends on the load on the rear axle.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote