View Single Post
Old 06-22-2004, 05:20 AM   #3
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Can't help on that particular area but when you go up 101, if you need to stop around Willits (on 101), about 6 miles south of Willits is an RV Park called Ridgewood Ranch (I think that's the right name). It's on the ranch that was Seabiscuit's home after retirement and sometimes during his career. If you walk/drive out of the park and turn left you can get down to the buildings of the original ranch. The first building, on the left, has the logo for the Ridgewood Ranch on it, same logo that Seabiscuit wore.

This area is kind of special to me because I lived in Willits as a toddler, when Seabiscuit was there. One of my sisters was born in the hospital Charles Howard built. My folks sent me a 1948 picture they took along 101 showing the sign for Ridgewood Ranch "Home of Seabiscuit". 101 has been rerouted but it turns out the road down to the rv park is the old 101. I found that sign, face down now, but the same sign. Kind of a deja vu feeling.

Didn't know if you'd be stopping in the Willits area or have any interest in this kind of history but thought I'd mention it just in case.

Hope you have a great trip.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote