View Single Post
Old 06-16-2018, 05:42 AM   #20
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

Here is the problem.

Provided the receptacle and the plug used are clean and wired properly and protected with the proper circuit breaker using a 15, 30, Or 50 amp receptacle will not cause the plug or receptacle to become damaged.

The problems happen when one or more of the following is present.

A corrode receptacle
A corroded plug
Too large a circuit breaker for any of the 3 amperages
The camp ground has added receptacles beyond the design limits of the primary wiring then changed the main breaker to make it hold the load.

So we all know that running more appliances than the 15, 30, or 50 amp service can provide will trip the circuit breaker. This is the case without damage to the service provider. The breaker at the service pedestal may become damaged to the point it will not carry the load it should.

Bottom line is:

Don’t plug in to any power service that has a discolored receptacle.

Don’t continue to use your plug or adapter if they are discolored.

If in the process of disconnecting you find either eng of you power cord or the dog bone adapters to be more than just warm to the touch repair or replace them.

I periodically open the ends on my power cord and my 50 am 50 foot extension cord and make sure the wire connections are tight and if I find corroded or discolored terminals I replace the plug or receptacle.

Remember the circuit breaker is there to protect the wire so don’t ever replace a circuit breaker with a large circuit breaker.

I work on both Ac and DC power services these are the problems I most commonly find.

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote