Thread: Chipping
View Single Post
Old 04-06-2009, 09:13 AM   #29
kmh3212
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6735
I suggest that you don't chip your truck. It is not worth voiding your 100,000 miles diesel engine warranty over the added horsepower. If you chip you would also need to do other aftermarket modifications to keep from overheating the pistons and protecting the engine. You would need gages, intake and exhaust modifications. As well you can't use the maximum horsepower the chip can provide while towing anyway without excessive EGT exhaust gas temperatures that will do severe engine damage!
I speak from experience while I did chip a 1999 7.3 Superduty I did so carefully on a over engineered engine. The 6.0 was already near it's maximum horsepower capability when hastily designed as mandated by the EPA and it does not seem to live long after chipping. Sure it will fly after chipping but for how long. Many have successfully chipped without problems others have stretched head bolts and burnt pistons causing major engine damage. It's your choice but you asked for opinions.
BTW with the condition of the automobile industry they are looking for ways to save money any way they can. Warranty denial easy to do when they discover the engine has been modified. They can tell even if you remove it after the engine blows they built it. The excessive fuel leaves distinctive star patterns on the pistons, Oops warranty denied you need new $10,000 engine!
kmh3212 is offline   Reply With Quote