View Single Post
Old 12-14-2019, 06:46 AM   #27
speedster100
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17566
The issue isn't the ball hitch regarding the Class A license but instead is the fact that there is a vehicle combination and one of them falls outside the RV exemption thus putting the entire unit into the weight bracket requiring Commercial Licensing.
Not sure about the particular smart trailer/tote units themselves or how they would be considered. I do know I have seen many 5er's with boats on behind and in the last couple years I've seen conventional ball type trailers with boats & or golf cart trailers behind them and I'm going out on a limb and guessing many don't know they require a higher class license..... The cost if caught is pretty steep as one of my buddies found out when pulled over with 4 ATV's behind his 5er.... All said and done it cost him about 3 grand in fines, had to drop the ATV trailer where it was and have a buddy come get it... Had he upgrade his license he would have been fine..... Just offering up the info as food for thought before people start thinking they can just hook up and go. The regs are not clear....... For myself I have a Class ACZ Ontario license, I have paid to add more weight on my 3500hd SRW truck so I can hook up heavier trailers to haul around my backhoe and related and if necessary a small dump trailer behind that and know that I am legal without worry of fines.... The yearly safety certificates for the trailers & truck are a pain in the arse but a necessary expense that the government keeps raising prices on....
speedster100 is offline   Reply With Quote