View Single Post
Old 12-31-2008, 07:12 AM   #27
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dmacy

It is my understanding that GM shortens the bed behind the rear axle. Ford and I believe Dodge shortens the bed in front of the axle. As a result it is not as much of a concern on a GM product than it is on a Ford or Dodge. I have a short bed GMC. I have a trailer saver air hitch that does not slide. I pulled a Newmar with no problems and now have a new 09 Montana both with no problems. I would suggest a manual slide in case you have to slide it. I had a Reese 16K slide hitch before I upgraded to the air hitch and never moved the slide.
I am not sure who does what to shorten the bed but it makes sense all of them shorten it between cab and axle. Otherwise there would not be a clearance problem with shortbed trucks towing fifthwheels.

I do know that both Ford and Dodge distance from cab to axle is almost identical, with the shorter Dodge Megacab shortbed being shorter behind the axle than is the Ford and GM shortbeds. I know that because I did some measuring before buying this Dodge. The overall length of the Dodge Megacab shortbed is, if I recall, two inches shorter than GM's shortbed and three inches shorter than Ford's. Ford has the longest shortbed, or did for 2007.

Anyhow, I measured our 2005 Ford Crewcab shortbed tradein and the 2007 Dodge Megacab (the long, long crewcab) and found the measurement from cab to axle center line to be almost identical. That's what I needed to see and I was pleased it was not going to be a problem.

The Dodge Quadcab (shorter crewcab) shortbed may be longer than the Megacab's. I don't know about that.

I do know the wheelbase for my Megacab shortbed is identical to the Quadcab longbed Dodge. For those not familiar, the Megacab has an additional 9 inches of cab than does the standard Dodge Quadcab.

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote