View Single Post
Old 01-20-2006, 06:16 PM   #9
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
There was a time in my life when I thought I could protect me and mine. I was a recon Marine with plenty of training. I had that mental attitude that I now call "naive invincibility". Those who say the laws will not protect you are correct, but I contend, in my old age, I cannot really protect myself. With my 30.06, I can still put 5 rounds into a target 200 yards away that you can cover with the palm of your hand. But under stress with a human target, I don't know.

This isn't the Old West. I am not a quick draw artist. By the time I remembered where I put it and the ammunition for it, got it loaded and ready to fire, I would already be up to my ears in alligators. The event may be over before I am ready to start. I really don't like the odds. Mind you, I am not a passivist, rather a pragmatist.

Maybe I am a cynic. I don't really trust the retirement funds of these large corporations or the government to "take care of me". Even though I use the financial institutions, i.e., banks, savings and loans, etc., I can conceive of situations where they may not be able to protect my assets. Even though I don't feel treatened anywhere I go, this is an unsafe world if a perpetrator is determined. The only safety I can find is in my faith and trust in my creator.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote