Thread: D3500 for 3400?
View Single Post
Old 07-12-2010, 08:51 AM   #52
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Just for grins, I looked at one of the manufacturer's websites (Chevy) to pick out some capacities on DRW pickups. In this case, the 3500 Duramax. Seems this vehicle has a GVWR 100 lbs less than my SRW pickup...how can that be so? The site also states this truck has a "Max Trailer" capacity of 13,000 lbs...again, a lot less than my SRW. The issue in both cases, as I have attempted to note in this thread, is that all of the numbers for a specific truck (not a whole brand/class) have to be examined. In doing so, it would appear that, in addition to 2,000 lbs, or less, max trailer capacity, what the DRW Chevy 3500 (2010 and older) "brings to the table" over my SRW pickup, is A LOT more payload capacity. However, some of that payload capacity is lost when computing GCWR for any particular truck/fifth wheel combo. Do some DRW pickups have more capacity than some SRW pickups? Of course! Are all SRW pickups incapable of safely towing, within specs, Montana fifth wheels? Of course not! I have all the towing capacity I currently need...all within specs. If I needed more, I would look at a DRW pickup, because some (not all) do have more towing/carrying capacity.
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote